Menu Our Camps


Is Brookwoods and Deer Run one large camp?

Brookwoods and Deer Run have individual distinct history, traditions, and programs unique to each camp. The camps are located next to each other and share some common facilities and support staff.

If I send a brother and sister to camp, will they see each other?

The short answer is yes, if they want to! The amount of time they will see each other depends on their selection of activities. Each afternoon we have an open waterfront, so that is generally the best time to connect.

Do the Cabins have Bathrooms?

Yes, each cabin has a bathroom. All facilities are modern and designed with comfort, health, and safety in mind. Campers sleep in fully-enclosed and screened cabins (with 2 counselors per cabin).Brookwoods campers have the use of hot water at the shower house, with separate showers, centrally located in the cabin area.

What does it mean to be a Christian camp?

Our Executive Director has written a separate article on this topic, and it can be read here.

How is Camp organized?

Campers are divided into two units based on age: the Junior Unit (8-11 year olds) and the Senior Unit (12-16 year olds). Each unit is made up of 50-60 campers and is under the supervision of a Unit Director who organizes age-appropriate programs within that unit. Campers are then assigned to a cabin within their unit—each cabin has 2 counselors and approximately 12 campers. The maximum number of campers at Brookwoods is 118 and 130 campers at Deer Run.

What is the camper to staff ratio?

Approximately 300 campers on grounds are managed by 100 staff members for a 3:1 ratio.

How are Cabin assignments made?

Assigning campers to cabins is a challenging task. Because we don’t know every camper prior to arrival, we have found it best to assign cabins based on age and grade in school. Regarding bunk mate requests, these need to be made reciprocally by both parents on the original applications. While we value your suggestions regarding your camper’s preferences, we must make decisions that are in the best interests of Camp as a whole. In this spirit, please do not ask to have your child moved to another cabin after they arrive at Camp.

When do the campers pick activities?

At the beginning of each week, campers select three structured activities that they want to participate in for that week. Campers will be able to choose how to spend supervised free time each day. Counselors will help campers choose activities appropriate for both their age and ability. Please see “Activity Age Limitations” below for more detail. Because some programs are more popular than others, your child may not get to participate in every activity. Still, we try our best to ensure that every camper is able to participate in at least one of their favorite activities.

What does an average day look like at camp?

Click here to view an average day at camp.

Are there some activity age limitations?

To ensure the safety of all our campers, some activities have minimum ages for participation:

  • Horseback Riding: 10 years of age
  • Mountain Biking: 11 years of age
  • Climbing Wall: 11 years of age
  • Riflery: 12 years of age
  • Advanced Rocketeering: 12 years of age
  • Paintball: 12 years of age and in the oldest three cabins at Brookwoods and Deer Run

Please note that these limits are due to the size of equipment, nature of the activity, and state regulations. For consistency, we use the camper’s age as of June 1st. Camp reserves the right to make changes to any program as necessary and sponsor only those programs that meet minimum safety standards.

I'm concerned about homesickness. Do you have any advice?

Some campers who are away from home for the first time become homesick for a short period of time. Overall, this is not a large problem as the camper enjoys the great activities and makes friends within a few days. If the parent gets a letter or postcard from the camper that indicates a problem, feel free to call the camp office. We will check on the situation and let you know what is going on. Sometimes those letters are written the first night at camp, and when the parent receives them on Thursday or Friday the natural assumption is that the child has been miserable the whole week! Give us a call and we will check on the situation.

What if I'm a Kid-Sick parent?

If you are a “kid-sick” parent, give us a call and we will have you talk to a staff member who can assure you that your child is well and having a great time at Camp. With the exception of emergencies, we cannot permit phone calls to campers. We also don’t want to turn a “kid-sick” parent into a “homesick” camper problem. Thank you for your cooperation with us.

Will the campers participate in an outdoor adventure?

Every cabin will experience a variety of outdoor adventures during their time together at camp. This might include hiking, canoeing, white water rafting, sleeping out on an island, or a local mountain. If your camper has any medical issues that might preclude their participation in these activities, we don’t want them to be put at risk of further injury. Please provide a note from their physician excusing them from these normally scheduled activities. In the absence of such documentation, we will assume your child can fully participate in these normal activities.

Are there any rules that campers need to follow?

Too much emphasis on “the rules” takes away from the atmosphere we strive to create at Camp. So, while our rules are few, they are absolutely necessary to keep your child safe and foster an atmosphere of encouragement, self-discipline, creativity, and responsibility:

  • Adventure activity participants must follow the provided instructions and protocol
  • Unsupervised swimming is not allowed
  • Smoking, chewing tobacco, alcohol, swearing, and possession or use of weapons or unprescribed drugs is not allowed
  • After-hours socializing with or entering the cabins of members of the opposite sex is not allowed

These rules are not flexible—Camp reserves the right to dismiss any participant who violate these guidelines.

What if my child becomes ill or injured?

If your child is ill or injured, Camp will comply with the American Camping Association regulations:

  • In the event of minor injury/illness such as headache, simple abrasion or earache, the Camp nurse will provide appropriate treatment. A phone call home is not required.
  • In the event of major injury/illness such as broken bones, concussion, allergic reaction, or any other event requiring a hospital visit, you will be contacted as soon as possible when we have all the details. Please note that we will try to contact you in person and will not leave a detailed message on an answering machine. In an emergency, Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run use Huggins Hospital (7 miles away) .
  • If a non-hospital incident happens at night, and is not serious, we will call you the next morning.
  • Please be assured that we will act in the best interests of your child when determining medical care. When in doubt, we will always take your child for treatment.

What if my child needs to take medications at Camp?

All medications, including vitamins—prescription or not—must be turned in to the Camp nurse upon arrival and noted on your child’s Medical Form. All prescription medications must be submitted in their original marked container indicating the name of the drug and dosing information. Our nurses are not legally allowed to dispense any medications that are not in an original, marked container—there is no flexibility with this policy. The Camp pediatrician has provided written orders allowing us to dispense common, over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol, Sudafed and Advil. You do not need to send these with your camper. A special note about vitamins/herbal supplements: The state of New Hampshire no longer permits Camp nurses to dispense vitamins/herbal supplements without a doctor’s signature. If your child needs to take vitamins/herbal supplements, please have your doctor indicate permission on the medical form or on the doctor’s letterhead.

What immunizations does my child need?

All campers must be up-to-date on their immunizations, including Tetanus Toxoid (within the previous 10 years). All campers age 16 years or older (including all those enrolled in the Leadership Programs) must have a valid tetanus immunization (within 5 years) before participating in any of our extended tripping and wilderness programs. If your doctors deems otherwise, it must be noted on the Medical Form.

Is my child’s medical information confidential?

In keeping with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (or HIPPA), information regarding your child’s medical background, diagnosis, medications and treatments will only be released to staff who have a reasonable need to be involved in providing health care to your child during their stay at Camp. We also limit the release of information to organizations or individuals that are providing care (i.e., emergency room personnel) or paying for care (i.e., insurance companies).

What if my child has severe allergic reactions and/or asthma?

The State of New Hampshire has recently enacted new legislation controlling the use and storage of inhalers and Epi-Pens at camp. The purpose of the law is to allow your child to keep his/her inhaler or Epi-pen on his/her person to be used if needed while at the same time providing a safe environment for other campers. Currently Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run staff one to two nurses at all times. These providers are trained in the use of inhalers and Epi-pens, are available 24 hours a day, and maintain a stocked emergency bag with Epi-pens and other emergency first aid supplies and equipment. In addition, all trips leaving camp include a first aid bag which includes two Epi-pens. If you or your health care provider feel that your child’s allergic reaction is severe or potentially life-threatening, an Epi-pen should be carried on his/her person at all times. The state law requires that two Epi-pens be provided to camp: one for the camper to carry and one to be stored in the Health Lodge. Each Epi-pen must be clearly marked with the camper’s name as well as that of the prescribing physician. Regarding asthma, the law states that the child may carry his/her own inhaler. It must be clearly marked with the camper’s name and recorded by the nurse on the incoming day of camp. Both camps strongly recommend a second inhaler for any camper carrying his/her own inhaler to be stored in the Health Lodge. Camp requires campers needing inhalers and/or Epi-Pens on his/her person to carry them in a small fanny pack worn at all times other than swimming and other water activities. If your child must carry an inhaler or an Epi-pen, your licensed health care provider must complete the information on the form located in the Camper Handbook.

How do I contact Camp in an emergency?

You can always reach the Brookwoods and Deer Run office by calling 603-875-3600 during the hours of 8:00am – 6:00pm. If you need to contact the Medical Building, call the main number (above) and we will transfer you there. For after-hours emergencies only: call 603-875-3602. You will be calling the home of our Executive Director and he will relay the message.

When is the tuition payment due?

Tuition for all Camp sessions, including the Leadership Programs, is due in full by April 15th, regardless of whether the other required forms are completed or not. This includes payment for any fees and special programs. If you would like to pay with your credit card you can use our online form. We will send you a reminder statement by mail before April 15th . If you would like to set up a payment plan, please call our Bookkeeper, Debbie Strodel, to make arrangements.

I live outside the United States. How do I make payments?

An additional fee of $200 per family ($100 for Canada and Mexico) is required for all families living outside the U.S. Whether you are sending one child or more than one child, the fee stays the same. Due to fees associated with international transactions, you must wire one payment—including tuition and any additional fees—directly to the Camp’s bank. Please call the camp office with S.W.I.F.T. wiring information. You may also pay with your international credit card on our camp website, or send a check made out to be paid in US funds.

What do I need to bring to Camp?

A complete list of items to be brought to camp is available in the Camper Handbook. All articles, including shoes, socks, hats, clothing and athletic equipment must be marked with your camper’s name. Campers are urged to keep track of their belongings and are given the opportunity to claim lost articles each week. Camp clothes experience a lot of wear and tear—please don’t pack pricey clothing that you wouldn’t want damaged.

What kind of footwear should I bring to camp?

Recently we have noticed many foot injuries at camp related to the lack of proper footwear. Camp is a tough environment for feet with dirt roads, paths through the woods, and an abundance of sticks and rocks. The BEST foot ware you can provide your kids at camp are types with closed toes that also have straps to remain on the feet while running. Sneakers and closed toe sport sandals work well. No campers will be permitted to engage in activities if they are wearing any type of footwear that does not have a strap. The exception to this will be at the waterfront or walking to the boy’s shower house where “flip flops” are permitted.

I have bed wetting concerns.

Please note that if your child experiences occasional or frequent bed-wetting, you will need to make some special preparations. Sleeping bags should not be used for daily sleeping in this circumstance; please bring two sets of sheets and a washable blanket for your child to use. Give us a call if you expect this to be an issue with your child as we will be better prepared to handle this situation if we know in advance.

Anything I should not send to Camp?

In keeping with Camp’s philosophy, electronic equipment is not allowed—please keep these items at home. This includes radios, television, iPods, GameBoys, hand-held computer games, Kindles, and cell phones. If your camper brings these items, they will be placed in the Camp office for the duration of their stay. Digital cameras are permitted if used appropriately.

What if we leave something behind at camp?

Camp will not accept responsibility for lost or stolen articles. Marked items left at Camp may be mailed home only when a parent calls or e-mails the office to identify the missing item and reimburses Camp for the mailing cost. Please understand that hundreds of nice items (clothing, equipment, etc.,) are left at Camp every summer. We can neither pay to mail everything nor hold the items indefinitely, and larger items need to be pre-paid. Unclaimed items will be donated to a charitable organization by the middle of September.

Does Camp have a dress code?

Clothing worn daily and at the end-of-month banquet should be modest and appropriate for the Camp environment. Please NO strapless, spaghetti strap or backless dresses or shirts. Dresses, and skirts must be no shorter than knee length. Please don’t put Camp in an uncomfortable position—make sure that outfits are appropriate. We reserve the right to ask your child to change clothes if deemed inappropriate. On Sunday mornings, we require the following uniforms that are available online or at the Camp Store.

  • Deer Run: White, green or khaki shorts and Deer Run Camp T-shirt
  • Brookwoods: Navy or khaki shorts and Brookwoods Camp T-shirt

How can my child get to camp?

The majority of campers arrive with their parents on incoming day using the family automobile, arriving between 1:00pm-5:00pm on your child’s incoming day. For those who live beyond a reasonable driving distance, we can pick up your camper at Logan Airport in Boston or Manchester Airport in New Hampshire between 11:00am-5:00pm on your child’s incoming day. A Camp staff member will meet your child at the airline’s baggage area and help retrieve luggage. Your camper should wait for a staff member wearing a Brookwoods or Deer Run uniform and holding a clipboard. Please note that van service to Brookwoods and Deer Run is available only for those campers arriving or departing by airplane.

How can I contact my child at camp?

Campers love to receive mail, perhaps more than they like to answer it! We encourage you to write often and keep the tone cheerful. Also, campers are encouraged to write home and we do provide free postcards in the Camp Store. If you are not hearing from your child and are concerned, please let us know and we will be happy to confirm that your child is doing well. You will also receive one letter from our staff updating you on activities and your child’s progress at Camp. Our mailing address is: Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run 34 Camp Brookwoods Road Alton, New Hampshire 03809 While we encourage parents to write campers, we cannot allow the use of our fax machine for this purpose—the volume would just be too great. As a convenience to our parents, we do offer a one-way e-mail service to campers through BunkNotes. Please visit our web site at, at the start of camp, for additional information about this service.

Can I call my child on the phone?

With the exception of emergencies, we cannot permit phone calls to campers. Camp is just too big and busy to handle it. If you are a “kid-sick” parent, give us a call and we will have you talk to a staff member who can assure you that your child is well and having a great time at Camp. We don’t want to turn a “kid-sick” parent into a “homesick” camper problem. Thank you for your cooperation with us.

Can I send a Care Package?

Our campers receive generous amounts of well-prepared, wholesome food in the dining hall. We ask that parents and relatives do not bring or send boxes of food or candy to Camp. To maintain our atmosphere of health and well-being, food of any kind will not be delivered to campers. We will also supervise the opening of all camper packages to ensure compliance with the above policy. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Do you have horseback riding?

The horsemanship program is designed to help campers develop skills in riding, horsemanship, grooming, safety, and care of the horses. Our staff instructors are certified by the Certified Horsemanship Association. Campers must be 10 years of age or older by June 1st in order to register for this activity. Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis by mail only and is limited to 40 participants per two-week session. The cost is $120 for two weeks and $220 for four weeks. Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run staff seeks to provide quality instruction in a safe environment. The horsemanship program has been developed based on safety codes, regulations, and camp standards in mind. To reserve a place in the riding program, please complete the form in the back of the Camper Handbook.

Is S.C.U.B.A. offered at camp?

Camp Brookwoods and Deer Run offer the opportunity to become Certified S.C.U.B.A. Divers to campers who are 12 years of age and over. The program lasts for 2 weeks and meets each afternoon for about 2 hours during the first and third two week sessions. The course includes:

  • An academic section (textbooks and videotapes are supplied);
  • A confined water section (where safety skills are learned); and
  • A series of dives to explore Lake Winnipesaukee.

Camp will supply all necessary gear. Taking this course does require a commitment from each camper to do their reading and attend training sessions. However, the reward is a S.C.U.B.A. Certification card good for a lifetime of fun and adventure in the water. We recommend that interested campers take one of the “Introduction to S.C.U.B.A.” classes offered during regular morning activity periods prior to the year they plan the Certification Program. To indicate interest in the Certification Program, please complete the Medical Questionnaire and the Liability Waiver forms, which you can find online at Look under the “Forms” button. Or, call the office at 603-875-3600 and we will mail them to you. Because this class requires a commitment and is limited to only 6 campers, interested campers will be notified once they arrive at Camp if they’ve been accepted into the class. Once accepted, you will be billed for payment. The fee for this course is $100.00. Should you or your physician have any medical questions, we can supply you with more information.

What is the BASIC Program?

The BASIC Adventure Program is a four week experience for 15 and 16 year old boys and girls. During their month at camp, teenagers will participate in co-ed team building activities in an outdoor setting. In addition to their usual camp activities, participants will spend three full days together on ropes course elements, guided by a trained facilitator. They will enjoy an overnight canoeing trip and also face the challenges of a three-day hike in the White Mountain Range. We will give priority in the BASIC Program to those campers first enrolled for four weeks, as the program is designed to emphasize relationship building within the context of a month-long shared experience. There is no extra cost for this program.

Can I visit my camper?

Visiting times are available for month-long campers only. There are no visiting days for two week campers. The schedule is as follows:

  • Middle Sunday of the first month session from 1:00pm-5:00pm
  • Middle Sunday of the second month session from 1:00pm-5:00pm

See dates and rates On visiting days, you are warmly invited to our morning worship service held in our outdoor chapel at 10:30am. Campers are expected to attend morning worship and then are free to leave Camp with their parents for lunch. We are sorry we’re unable to provide meals for parents and visitors on these special days. All campers must have signed written permission on file, in the Camp office, in order to leave property with someone other than their parents, PRIOR to the Visiting Day. A Permission Slip, available in the office or on the camp web site, may be completed and faxed back to camp, or the parent may e-mail our Executive Director, Bob Strodel at or his wife, Debbie, at As a matter of general rule, we will NOT allow last minute phone calls home to make arrangements for visiting day. While we welcome visiting adult alumni and prospective parents during the summer, please check in with the main office to meet the Director and obtain a visitor’s badge before touring the Camp grounds—we must follow this policy to preserve the safety and well-being of our campers and staff at all times. If you are visiting with children, or the siblings of a Camper, they must stay with their parents at all times.

International Campers

We strive to provide top-notch service to families outside the U.S. That said, there are some important things you need to know if you’re coming to Camp from abroad. We recognize that our international Campers are at a disadvantage in terms of communicating with their families (due to longer mailing times and greater geographical distances). Therefore, international campers may:

  • Fax a letter home to their parents three times a week (2-page maximum—Camp can provide paper if needed);
  • Receive a reasonable number of letters by fax from their families—please be sure to print your camper’s name clearly at the top of the fax;
  • Make a brief phone call home to announce their safe arrival at Camp;
  • Purchase enough stamps to write their parents up to 3 times per week.

When your child arrives at Camp, they will need to turn in their passport, return plane ticket, and any extra discretionary money, cell phones and other valuables for safekeeping in the Camp office.

Where can I stay in the area?

If you are planning on staying in the Lakes Region, it’s important that you make advance reservations early and directly with motels or resorts. The following is a guide to some of the accommodations that are near Camp.

  • Wolfeboro Inn, 44 N. Main, Wolfeboro 603-569-3016 (12 miles)
  • The Inn on Main, 200 N. Main, Wolfeboro 603-569-1335 (12 miles)
  • Holiday Inn Express, Rochester, NH 603-994-1175 (20 miles)
  • Greystone Inn, 132 Scenic Drive, Gilford 603-293-7377 (20 miles)
  • Marriott – TownePlace Suites, 14 Sawmill Rd, Gilford, NH 603 524-5533 (20 miles)

If you’re interested in local Bed and Breakfast options, please contact the Wolfeboro Chamber of Commerce at 603-569-2200.

Where can I eat in the area?

Restaurants for Dinner ($15-$25)

  • Shibley’s at the Pier, Rt. 11, Alton Bay 603-875-3636 (5 miles)
  • Sandy Point Resort, Rt. 11, Alton Bay 603-875-6001 (6 miles)
  • Johnson’s Seafood and Steak, 69 Route 11, New Durham 603-859-7500 (11 miles)
  • Garwoods, Main Street, Wolfeboro 603-569-7788 (12 miles)
  • Wolfeboro Inn, 44 N. Main, Wolfeboro 603-569-3016 (12 miles)
  • West Lake Asian, Rt. 28, Wolfeboro 603-569-6700 (14 miles)
  • Wolfetrap, 19 Bay St, Wolfeboro 603-569-1047 (8 miles)
  • Backbay Grill, 51 Mill St, Wolfeboro, 603-515-1002 (8 miles)
  • The Inn on Main Bistro, 200 N. Main, Wolfeboro, 603-569-3016 (8 miles)
  • El Centenario, 14 Union St, Wolfeboro, 603-569-3445 (8 miles)

Restaurants for Lunch ($5-$10)

  • Morrisey’s Front Porch, Rt. 28, Wolfeboro 603-569-3662 (10 miles)
  • Strawberry Patch, 30 N. Main, Wolfeboro 603-569-5523 (11 miles)
  • Jo Green’s, Main Street, Wolfeboro 603-569-8668 (11 miles)
  • Downtown Market Grill, 11 Railroad Avenue, Wolfeboro 603-569-4504 (11 miles)
  • Seven Suns, 61 Railroad Ave, Wolfeboro, 603-515-1010 (8 miles)
  • Wolfeboro Dockside Grille, 11 Dockside St. Wolfeboro, 602-515-1053 (8 miles)

What does it mean to be accredited?

Brookwoods and Deer Run are accredited members of the American Camping Association (ACA) and Christian Camp and Conference Association (CCCA). They have earned and maintained the highest recognition and standing with both organizations. This means that Camp has met the requirements for membership established by the ACA and CCCA. Camps awarded these emblems are inspected every three years by qualified personnel to ascertain their compliance with standards set by these organizations.